I can't believe it, but I succeeded at making a "212" in neon class today!!!! I was skeptical when I accidentally broke my #1 an hour before class was over, but managed to get it lit and bombarded and everything. The teachers and I both were skeptical that I'd finish in time, but I'm so glad I pushed through and made it happen. Photos of the lit sign to come :)
Those who have been around TechShopSF in the past three months have started to notice these 3D printed, red SKULLS popping up everywhere. The reason is: me, and my new found love for experimenting with 3D print settings! I’ve taught the MakerBot class at TechShop since Summer 2015, and usually make sample prints of an elephant to show my students. But in my spare time, lately I've printed nothing but these awesome SKULLS, which also hold LED tea light candles.
I originally purchased these LED tea candles for a CNC chandelier that I’m designing, and since I had the candles on hand, I started to tinker with the skull print from Thingiverse. Since the OP used smaller candles, I first had to find the right size print for my larger candles. Then I moved on to other tweaks, experimenting with the Quick Settings like layer height, infill, and shells, using MakerWare, MakerBot's splicing software.
No two skulls have been the same, so far…. But I think that’s about to change, as I’ve finally found the ideal settings for this project!
My version of the 3d Printed Skull Tea Light holds these candles from Amazon, and it prints in about 3 hours 30 mins. It is strong enough to get a mild beating (because I’m reckless), and prints quick enough that I can run a print every time I’m working at TechShopSF. So far, I’ve printed about 15 and still have more than 1/2 (large) Spool of Red Translucent filament from MakerBot.
You can still expect to see skulls being printed on the MakerBot whenever I’m at TechShop, but I’ve now moved from “experimenting” to the “final run”. Happy skull hunting, y’all!